It has been far too long since I last blogged. There have been a number of reasons, most notably work, family and golf (yeah golf!). But too much has happened since I last blogged…so I need to get back into it.
Before I go into all the fun things I have been doing, I figured I would do a quick status check on the goals I set at the beginning of the year. Let’s go through them one by one:
- Reading List – Like everything else, I have slowed a down my reading a bit. Here’s what I have read so far.
- Blackboard – Am I killing it? I guess I didn’t really set a SMART goal here. Definitely have a long way to go for me to declare success, but I am having a blast!
- Blogging – This is a big blemish. I was supposed to write 1 blog entry a week for the year. So far, this entry marks 11th entry. I am 14 weeks behind schedule. Challenge accepted!
- DC Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment Meetup – This group has far exceeded my expectations. Here are the metrics:
- Targeted 250 members, currently at 360+. Awesome!
- We have met once a month so far
- No workshops scheduled
- Public Speaking – I will talk about this more in future blogs, but so far. Here’s where I stand:
- Public Speaking Events – I have given three talks this year, two of them were repeats. This is complete.
- New Talks Given – None given, but one scheduled. More on that later.
- Chef – I have made some progress but not as much as I would like. I am hoping the addition of a new team member will help create some progress in this area.
- Jenkins Plugins – Technically speaking, I was able to do this. I had a pull request accepted for the Jenkins Job DSL plugin. We recently had an Innovation Day (hack event) at Blackboard and Michael Dumont and I were able to add a simple feature to the Etsy Master Project Jenkins Plugin. Pull request pending.
- Ruby – No progress to date, other than Chef work. Hopefully I can find a window to focus on this.
All in all, I do feel like this year is right on track, with the exception of this blog. I have promised myself to focus more on blogging, so expect good things.